I type here from my bed recovering from pneumonia. It took hold of me as the holidays approached and became an unavoidable reality as we literally opened the year. New Year’s Day found me at the ER. This year God had some truths to confirm in my life about the role of medicine in our modern culture and in my life. Over the years of raising children God opened my eyes to all of His creation and its many uses. Through this knowledge I gained freedom. Freedom to use the myriad of plants He created all over this planet to take care of these bodies He gave us. As I grew in knowledge and wisdom the world of medicine and doctors took a back seat and no longer dictated how I ran my life. As the years went by through prayer and His wisdom illness was a small part of our journey. As 2016 came to a close we were all reflecting on how thankful we were that we had not really been hit too deeply with all these terrible illnesses that we had been hearing about around us. I have always held that doctors and medicine have their place just not the place our culture has elevated them to. I was soon to learn that often we are led by fear to turn to man for our answers but sometimes we can also be prideful that we have all the answers and not see that God has a place for both because He created both.
I woke New Year’s Day and my chest felt heavy when I took a breath, coughing exhausted me but thankfully no longer hurt; I had been battling an illness that had entered the house the week before Christmas. The miracle to testify to here is that I had tried to call the doctor the day before Christmas Eve but no one answered. By that night I was so miserable and in such pain my children stood around me in my bed and prayed over me. The result of this prayer was a cessation of the pain and fever that had been plaguing me. I was also able to interact with people a bit for the holidays. So this is another one of many God provides miracles I will be able to look to and speak of throughout my life. Anyway, I digress, below you will find our tried and true formula for illness when it enters our house and it has worked faithfully for 20+ years.
- Echinacea our first line of defense. It builds up the white blood cells that fight the invading monsters. Now in my experience while it is good to take Echinacea throughout the illness the onset is the most effective place for this remedy.
- Garlic- our mainstay to kill anything and everything. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. As such we take it in the same manner as we would an antibiotic. We start with a pink of a fresh clove or two once a day. We like to bury it in applesauce or plain yogurt and just swallow down. If this does not seem to be killing it (meaning you are not feeling better) we move up to twice then 3X a day. In really bad illnesses we have even done every 2 hrs or so.
- Ginger- If there is a lot of mucus being produced, sneezing and running, ginger is our go to. This dries up the extra production. I know it has many other properties but this is what we use it for.
- Nettle tea- This when infused for a 3 or 4 hours is a good expectorant. It is also very nourishing to the rest of your body
- Eucalyptus essential oil-when congestion is a problem with a tight cough, this brings wonderful relief. Boil a big pot of water add several drops, put a towel over your head and breath deeply. I usually stand above it as the steam is too close and too hot when I sit. This really gets the chest congestion moving.
- humidifier if night coughing and discomfort are a problem we use a warm humidifier. This year we added the Eucalyptus oil to it but I now have rivulets of oil on my walls that I need to clean once I have the strength and energy. So no more oil in my humidifier.
These are our go to remedies. As I said above we have used these for 20+ years with great success. But this illness was different and it is in listening to God that the truth was revealed. We did all of the above and the rest of the family was well within a week despite the news that all around us illness was rampant and lasting for multiple weeks. But I had gotten something special or because of my Hashimoto’s I was not able to fight whatever came in, but I can tell you now looking back it was different from the day it started. The cough started dry and tight and was painful and unproductive within 2 days. I did all of the above remedies to no avail breathing the eucalyptus or steam felt as if it were pressing the bad further down in my lungs. At the time I could not articulate that it just did not feel good. I did cough and it moved things a little but not like it normally would. So after fighting for a week and the return of a low-grade fever I knew something was not right. I knew I had done all I could it was time to check with doctors. Now the emergency room was not my first choice but being it was a holiday I knew my doctor was not going to be in and although the urgent care centers said they were open they were not . So the emergency room was where I ended up.
So what did I learn on this journey ,well, what the Spirit had been telling me for years was confirmed, doctors and medicine have their purpose and place. You see, to me, we live in a world where science is god and doctors are the priests. Priests just like we have seen them in history dictating to all, what we will do, how we will live and what will cause us to die. We are literally persecuted and looked down upon if we question that ideology or those doctors/priests. So funny how history repeats itself and how ,as it says in Ecclesiastes “There is nothing new under the sun”. In a coming post I will share about Hippocrates and what I learned as we started our history study this year. But just like people of old were freed from the tyranny of priests and their whims and wishes we too have been freed from the god of science and medicine that the world has created. Does this mean God cannot use them and does not have a purpose? Nothing that God created should be eschewed. It is the point at which we see it as above God, look to the authority of man over God where we are out-of-order and summarily enslaved.
You see the world is the same whether you see God or not. Illness is still there whether you look to Him or not. We are either blessed by the plants that surround us or we have doctors and medicines formulated by the men that He created. The key is going to Him and being free. He is the key, He knows the path, He is the creator. As God of the universe no matter how man tries to distort things, He will always set things right. So as always I started the year thankful. Thankful for all the choices He puts at my disposal and thankful He guides me to which is best in a given moment. Thankful for the quiet to sit in His presence. While we may have medicine and doctors to take care of so many things we do not need to rely on them for the answers, we also have all of His creation available to us to care for us and build us up. Ultimately it is God himself we go to for the solution. Thank you Jesus for coming here and living amongst us. Thank you for opening that direct line of communication to God for me. Thank you that I can rely on you and not be a slave to pride and fear.